MiEnergy Cooperative asks members to reduce electric use
Cresco, IA | Rushford, MN (3:45 p.m. September 25, 2017)— Late season summer weather has MiEnergy Cooperative issuing a notice regarding high demand for electricity in the regional power market. MiEnergy asks members to help by reducing their electric use until 6 p.m. today.
Members participating in the cooperative’s load management programs for water heaters and air conditioners are being controlled. Members can check out the load control status link on MiEnergy’s website, www.MiEnergy.coop, for specific control parameters.
Everyone, whether a cooperative member or not, can help reduce energy use by practicing a few simple conservation measures:
- Set thermostats to no lower than 78 degrees. Use a programmable thermostat with your air conditioner to adjust the setting at night or when no one is home.
- Use ceiling and portable fans to enhance the cooling ability of your air conditioner. Even mild air movement can make you feel cooler.
- Draw shades or blinds to prevent the sun from adding more heat to the room.
- Try to avoid chores requiring electricity such as running the dishwasher and doing laundry during peak energy use periods (11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays).
- Make sure your air conditioner filters are clean for peak efficiency.