MiEnergy Cooperative announces peak energy alert
Cresco, IA | Rushford, MN (12:40 p.m. July 12, 2017)— MiEnergy Cooperative is issuing a peak energy alert to address high demand for electricity in the regional power market. MiEnergy asks members to help by reducing their electric use.
When peak alerts are announced energy conservation is critical, particularly between the hours of 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
MiEnergy will begin full load control at 2 p.m. today. This includes peak alert account generators, manual shut down accounts and irrigators. Members participating in the cooperative’s load management programs for water heaters and air conditioners will also be controlled. Members can check out the load control status link on MiEnergy’s website, www.MiEnergy.coop, for specific control parameters.
Everyone, whether a cooperative member or not, can help reduce energy use by practicing a few simple conservation measures:
- Set thermostats to no lower than 78 degrees. Use a programmable thermostat with your air conditioner to adjust the setting at night or when no one is home.
- Use ceiling and portable fans to enhance the cooling ability of your air conditioner. Even mild air movement can make you feel cooler.
- Draw shades or blinds to prevent the sun from adding more heat to the room.
- Try to avoid chores requiring electricity such as running the dishwasher and doing laundry during peak energy use periods (11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays).
- Make sure your air conditioner filters are clean for peak efficiency.